Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hope

In church on Sunday, the Relief Society President in my ward gave what was, for me, a powerful reminder.

She told us that when she was in college she did polling for Ronald Reagan's presidential campaign. She said that they used the Lichert scale, which I'm sure everyone is familiar with.

Strongly Disagree, Somewhat Disagree, Neutral, Somewhat Agree, Strongly Agree

She wrote the scale on the board and said, "I want you to be totally honest and respond to this statement: I had a very trying or difficult week."

As she wrote the numbers on the board, it ended up that almost 40 people either Strongly agreeed or Somewhat agreed that they'd had a trying week with the rest of the numbers divided in small amounts over the remaining three choices. I was surprised that such a large number of the room was in such turmoil. I looked around and thought that we really don't know what others are going through. I resolved to employ more compassion in my life.

Then the Relief Society Pres. said, "Okay, now I want you to respond to this statement: I had a sacred experience, spiritual experience or was able to feel the spirit strongly at some time this week."

With so many people having a hard week you would think that not very many people would strongly agree, but when the numbers came out it appeared that most people said, yes, I was able to have a sacred experience this week.

Someone raised their hand and said that if we are having spiritual experiences we shouldn't be having hard times. I disagreed.

The next person that raised their hand said, No, for it is often in times of trial that we are closest to the spirit. I agreed.

But for me, it was about hope. At first when asked to respond I thought "Hmmm, I don't know if I've had a spiritual experience, I'll have to think about it." But as I reviewed the week, moments flooded my mind and heart. I realized that I've been closer to God than I thought I had. I realized that I felt the spirit nearly every day and most of the time my sacred experiences involve my children. SO it was with confidence that I was able to raise my hand and strongly agree. I was so grateful. I've lived in a cloud for the past year and I'm so grateful to again be able to recognize a closeness to my Father in Heaven. And now I have hope. Hope that no matter what I face this week, be it difficulty or ease, the numbers suggest that I will have an opportunity to be close to my Heavenly Father and to draw nearer to him in thought and deed. It gave me hope that I am not some lost soul, I am fundamentally Spiritual. It made me want to seek the spirit; to seek sacred experiences.

How thankful I am.

5 comments:

Liz said...

A beautiful lesson for Relief Society. I believe we can be spiritual during trials and times without major trials. With that said I think it is when we are struggling we yearn for His closeness and rely on it to endure. Our striving should, also be to find that spirituality on the great days, each and every day. On the news recently there was a study done of the brain and the scientists were amazed that even though they could not find the exact area of the brain that would be a spiritual area that we are naturally born to be be religious. They, of course were amazed by this and will study it more.
Glad that you are doing so much better.

Jessica said...

The Lord chastens his people to make them strong. When I am being tried, I usually am closer than ever to the Spirit and to the Lord. It is in the times when we are having an easier time that we often slip up and rely on ourselves before we rely on the Lord. Thanks for the reminder Christie!

Erin Axson said...

What a wonderful post. Just what I needed this morning. That was indeed a powerful reminder!

I agree that the times that I have been tried are more often than not, very beautiful, inspirational times as well. But I too am noticing an added dose of the spirit just in everyday moments, tried or not.

Thank you for helping me remember how blessed we are to have the gospel.

Cami said...

Fundamentally spiritual.

Doesn't this mean so much?

This was such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this

rachel said...

A.M.E.N.