
I love consignment stores. I always have. When I was in college I frequented them, dressed from them, decorated from them. I love the bargains, the eclectic feel, the history. I love that when I buy something from a consignment store I become part of someone else's story.
A new little consignment store has popped up in American Fork. It's called Mona Lisa's. Every time I've driven by in the past few months I've thought, ooh, I have to stop there someday. That someday came when a few weeks ago I had 20 free minutes before having to pick up Hailey. There are two sides to Mona Lisa's, the clothing side and the housewares side. It's more of a traditional consignment store as opposed to Finders Keepers (two doors down) which is more of a refurbished furniture boutique. I got a prisine leather jacket for 20 bucks. Not Bad. While I was buying my jacket I saw these awesome amber colored goblets that match my Thanksgiving decor perfectly but I excercised restraint.
I exercised restraint for three whole days. Doug went on a business trip and I ran back to Mona Lisa's to pick up my goblets! When I got there the salesperson was busy so I decided to browse. While browsing I found a Norman Rockwell piece that was framed. I assumed it was an old Magazine cover that someone had printed on canvas or something. The frame was horrible but I loved the artwork. I loved its message. I know Norman Rockwell is criticized for being a cliche idealist but what do I care? I AM a cliche idealist. I peeled back the frame's backing to see if it could be easily reframed and was shocked to find an authenticity certificate! I hurriedly bought it for 20 dollars (and my goblets...and dessert glasses too) and RAN home to see what my little find's value was.
After research I found that it's a signed, numbered lithograph from 1943. It's worth at least $400.00. AND I PAID $20! See what I mean about consignment stores? It may as well be worth one cent though, for I don't intend to ever sell it. It's a piece that depicts a Thanksgiving dinner but I'm leaving it up all year long.
The piece is called Freedom from Want. It was the third in a four-part series that Rockwell painted in response to a speech given by President Roosevelt. The others were Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Worship, and Feedom from Fear. The paintings travelled cross country in a successful attempt to aid in the sale of war bonds. In 1998 the original was put on display as the centerpiece in the National Museum of American Art in Washington DC.
To me, this piece reminds me of God, of my Country, of my Blessings. In the United States of America I am free to worship my God. My belly is never empty. I have Freedom from Want.

5 comments:
WOW! What a lucky find and I am sure, it is beautiful.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I looked up the other pictures, they are cool too. You should have a lifelong quest to find the others. My favorite is the freedom from fear one!
Excellently put
and what a find!
SWEET! Love it when you find a GREAT deal and even better when it is the real thing!
I saw your comments on Cami's blog and so glad you shared this here. The story of the pics origin is fascinating.
Have a beautiful Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment