Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thoughts on a Wednesday

Do you think that I could make a vinyl sign for my door that says, "No Soliciting...EXCEPT FOR PETERSON FARMS?" I seriously look forward to their visit every year. I cried last year when they came to my (Eagle Mtn.) house for the last time. Then yesterday I answered the door to the trademark truck and about full on kissed the guy on the mouth before he even started talking. YES PLEASE I WANT IT ALL, I said. So here I sit, eating the crispiest fuji apple slice dipped in peanut butter and thanking heaven for Peterson Farms.

Today I had ten minutes. Hailey was at school. Doug was at work. Libby was sleeping. My house was clean. It smelled clean. It looked clean. Not a thing was on the floor. No germs anywhere. It was quiet. I was alone. I sat staring at the house. I stared at my new carpet. I stared at my new paint. I stared at the grey sky and fluttering leaves out of the shiny window. I stared for ten blessed minutes before I heard the garage. Within another 10 minutes there were dishes in the sink, backpack/coat/shoes/homework on the floor, pee-pee in the potty and an entire tub of clorox wipes strewn about the house. And yet I smiled because my family was home. Did they notice the smell of the house, the sparkle of the toilet bowls? Probably not, but I think they noticed the feeling. It was home.

I think I may have found my new calling in life. Earlier this year I read a book called The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio. I've written about it before. It's a fabulous book. It's about a woman who raises her enormous family by entering contests in which she had to write jingles, dittys, essays etc. She was rewarded with trips, prizes and cash. When I read it I thought (as did my friends and family who have read it) that I would have thrived with contests like that. But alas and alack. That was then, this is now. BUT WAIT!!! A few months ago I won a day at the spa from a blog. And then today I found out that there are blogs that are dedicated to stuff like this. They post contests and give aways. So I spent an hour entering these contests. Even if I win only one item (the average value of the items I entered for was 75 bucks) it will have been worth my time! I plan on entering every contest that has anything to do with writing. Hey, if a girl has a passion she may as well make some money off of it while waiting for her novel to be published right?

A few days ago Libby told me that she is not a baby anymore. She said, "Doan call me an baby. I'n no a baby, I an big girl." I told her that big girls pee and poop in the potty. She told me that some do and some go in diapers and "no more talk about it anymore!" Since that moment she flips out if I call her a baby in any way. Even if I say, "Oh, look at mamma's baby." My "baby" almost three! When did that happen? Will I ever have another baby?

So there. There are some thoughts for a cloudy Wednesday afternoon.

...Fancy that, the sun just came out!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

I loved this whole post. All of it. Libby is so cute.

Adrienne said...

Cute post! I actually talked to the farm folks about the very thing you mentioned. They said that there are folks with the no soliciting sign that have let them know that they still want to hear from them, and they will still knock.

Liz said...

Send those farm fresh goods to So Jo!
I am glad that your new carpet is in and that all the floor under is clean, rid of all the junk you found.
I am sure it is BEAUTIFUL!

Cami said...

What a cute..er, baby!
I love thought-full posts.

si tu veux said...

Lovely thoughts to start my Thursday. Hope all is well for you today!

rachel said...

Lovely!! This is a delightful post, Christie :)

It"s me said...

Libby is so cute!

LeShel said...

Yum for farm fresh food!! Libby is adorable. Congrats on the reject letter. Funny to say congrats for that but after reading your post congrats are definitely in order