Last night as I was saying my prayers I was expressing love for my life and for my Heavenly Father. I told him that feeling his love was a gift to me and asked that I would be full of his love and able to sleep. I finished my prayers and the most amazing thing happened. Completely unbidden I began to think of people. It started with my family, then my extended family and close friends, then neighbors, then people I don't even know very well. As I thought of them the only thoughts that came to my mind were thoughts that showed me the love that they have shared with me. I began to see the love that everyone has shown me and the goodness in people. In things that I was thankful for but hadn't thought much of (like a neighbor shoveling my walk) I saw people's intentions and actions toward me as acts of pure love. No negative thoughts came into my mind at all. With each person that came to my mind (including the pharmacist) I was able to see only their goodness towards me and feel deeply for them. As I saw the love that people have for me I believe that I was being taught that Heavenly Father often fills us with His love through the light of Christ in other people. I learned that I don't have to say a special prayer asking to feel Heavenly Father's love, I simply have to open my eyes and see that his love is all around me. I was overcome with gratitude and a desire to express my love in turn. I want other people to feel the feelings I had last night and I want to do everything in my power to show love. Not just to my family and friends, but to all of His children.
Here were just a few of the more obscure recollections that came to my mind last night. It's easy to see the obvious love shown. These were some of the not so obvious examples.
A pharmacist taking the time to mix a specific concoction of over the counter vitamins with my perscription to make it so that my insurance would accept it.
A friend calling to say that she was praying for me and that part of her prayer was how thankful she was that God made me just the way I am and that she was so thankful that God put me in her life.
A friend sharing her perscription eye drops with me so that I wouldn't have to go out of my way.
The woman who checks reciepts at Costco looking at my reciept and telling me that she was proud of me as I was obviously learning how to keep a budget.
The boy who puts the shopping carts away at Smith's that saw I was struggling with Libby and unpacked my groceries without being asked.
A person who always laughs at me and makes me feel like I'm a funny person.
A compliment from a friend.
Being barely awake lying in bed hearing my husband tell the kids to let me sleep.
A person who has decided to be there for me.
An unbidden offer to watch my kids so that I can go to the grocery store in peace.
An offer from a neighbor to borrow a book so that I don't have to go to the library to get it myself.
I could go on and on and on.
1 John 4: 7, 16 and 21
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is Love; and he that dwelleth in Love dwelleth in God and God in Him. And this commandment we have from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
7 comments:
I love you...my days would be dismal without you!
A beautifully written essay on love.
Thank you for sharing them this day, in particular, because they are just what I needed to hear and feel. You words jump off the page and can truly be felt. it is a beautiful post of sharing something you could have held tight within your heart and soul and yet you chose to share.
Love,
Aunt Liz
That's beautiful, Chris. It's a great reminder of how much Heavenly Father does love us and that we need to return that love by showing it to others.
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us and reminding me of the love that is all around us and how much Heavenly Father loves us and shows us if we do open our hearts to see. I felt your testimony and love just pouring out. You are amazing and I am sad I did not get to know you better while you lived just houses away. Thanks again :)
thanks.
amen.
I would have never thought about it that way. You've given me a new perspective. Thanks!
thoughtful post. hope things went well yesterday ♥
Post a Comment