We Are Our Mothers' Daughters by Cokie RobertsMy review
rating: 2 of 5 stars
I loved the parts about women in politics (especially parts about our founding Mothers) and the sections about the bond that we as women share. HOWEVER, as "non-partisan" as she tried to be, Cokie Roberts (obvious liberal) tells the Great Lie. The Great Lie is that women can do everything, all at once and be fabulous at everything they do. Being an anchor woman, a perfect mother, a politician, a housekeeper etc. while looking perfect and being on the PTA of course. IT ISN'T TRUE GIRLS!!! Books like this make us as women feel terrible about ourselves and we shouldn't! No we should not! I am the first to say that a woman is as competent as a man. She can do and be whatever she wants- just not all at once. To everything there is a season. Trying to live all your seasons at once robs you of the beauty of living them individually. I prize being a mother in this season. I have ambitions, of course I do. Political, Professional, Social ambitions. But today, today I am rocking my babies and I wouldn't miss the sweetness of this season for anything. Not fame, not fortune, not my politics or my passions.
View all my reviews.

9 comments:
well said! thanks!
I hope that you send this to Cokie in an email or something:)
I would not like to read or would I agree with this book. Keep loving those little ones. The most divine and only calling of ours from God. Someday at his feet He will thanks us for fulfilling our divine callings, not for our fame or fortune. Like the Feb. V.T. message, "if we do not do it no one will". Loved that month's message.
tru dat, props to Cristy for knowing the truth
Well put, my friend. I'm with you.
Good for you. It is a lie. So true.
cokie...rhymes with hokie...first clue. How are you? Hope better. take care now.
How often we tell this lie to ourselves and then feel bad that we are not meeting our "responsiblities." Good for you for being honest with yourself!
I completely agree!
Post a Comment