
Hailey started talking while still an infant (8 months) and so sometimes I look at Libby and I wonder if something is wrong. I KNOW that she's intelligent but she doesn't say much. I was even so worried that I took her to the pediatrician who assured me that she is right on in her development and not to worry. But of course I'm a mom and I'm me so I still worry. Libby much prefers to sing little tunes "lalalalala" but rarely speaks other than "Sissy, Mama and Daddy" words.
Today Libby walks up to me. Here is the conversation.
Libby: Hi Mom!
Me: (confused because Libby doesn't say Hi) Hi?
Libby: (stroking my hair) Pretty Hair
Me: Did you just say "Pretty Hair" Libby?!?!?!?!
Libby: (Pointing to my eyes) Eyes
Me: (Holding up the Hairspray) Libby, what is this?
Libby: Spray
Me: (Holding up a Hair bow) What is this?
Libby: A bow!
An aghast Hailey joins in the conversation...
Hailey: (Draws a heart on a paper) Libbs, what is this?
Libby: A Heart!
Libby and Hailey continue CONVERSING while I frantically grab the phone and dial Doug...
Me: (into the phone) Doug, Libby is TALKING!!! Real words!
Doug: No way
Me: Yes Listen!!!!! (Holding the phone to Libby's ear) Libby say "heart"
Libby: (silence)
Me: Come on Libby say "Hair"
Libby: (silence)
Me: Say Hi!
Libby: da da, ga ga, BABY TALK!!!
Me: (into the phone) I swear she was talking!
Doug: Sure she was! (end of call)
Me: (Looking at Libby in exasperation) You know how to talk don't you?
Libby: Nods.
This child is going to be the death of me. I wonder how long she has known how to talk! From the minute she was born she has been the most stubborn little thing. She does what she wants when she wants and no one can make her do otherwise!

5 comments:
That's cute!
How cute.
Being stubborn runs strong in the Hansen gene pool. Good luck. I must say from the outside looking in she sounds adorable!
She maybe is just the silent, observant type. Or maybe she's stubborn. Funny story.
I agree with LeShel. Good luck with that. You will finally get her to talk at the age when you least want her too. Love and hugs. Hope you are well.
btw, wv is squil: the kind of delight you scream in when your child is being a cute pill.
Post a Comment