Thursday, May 8, 2008

Elisabeth Suzanne- One Year Old

Yesterday was Libby's birthday. We had a fun day as a family celebrating the first year of Libby's little life. A fellow blogger writes a letter to her daughter every month. While I'm not that ambitious, I've decided to write one every year.

May 7, 2008

Dear Elisabeth, my Libby,

One year ago, out of desperation, I willed you to be born. And in this year, so many changes. Can it be that you were ever apart from us? You are the baby that I begged for two years for. The child I pleaded to have and felt so desperate to hold.

Two nights ago I was rocking you to sleep, nursing you and thinking that this phase is almost over. Soon you'll be weaned and I know from experience that this closes a chapter- you'll need me a little less. For almost two years we've been physically connected and I mourn the end of that phase. In the same breath I look forward to all the excitement of what is in store. The discoveries made and the person you will be thrills me.

I marvel at you, Elisabeth. I marvel at the strength you had to have to overcome those first painful months of life and how you have blossomed out of that adversity into the sweetest, happiest baby. I marvel at your little sounds, your laugh, your beautiful blue eyes, your love for your sister, the hugs you give, the way you get so excited when your daddy comes in the room, the way you lull into rhythmic breathing on my chest while falling asleep, your wave, the little point you make with your index finger when you want to show us something, the way you rub my shirt on your face for comfort, how you pat your head, your adorable teeth and silly grin. Everything you do is a miracle to me.

You and Hailey each made me a mother in different ways. With Hailey it was new, fresh, exciting. With you I have gotten to put in to practice what I learned. It is comfortable, it is sweet and it is equally thrilling. All I can say is that from the moment you were a thought in my mind, you were mine and you have fit- here in my heart- all the while.

I am honored to be your mother. Happy first birthday little Libby.

Love,
Mommy

4 comments:

Erin Axson said...

I cant believe that a year ago we were laying on the hospital floor ( oh how far the germaphobe has come!) waiting for Libby to arrive.
What a sweet girl she is!

Anonymous said...

Christie.....Happy Birthday to your sweet Libby. What a lovely letter to your big "ONE" year old. That letter will always be treasured by her.
Cute pictures of your family. Happy Celebrating!
Pam

Amber Gardiner said...

Happy Birthday Libby! Life goes so fast, good thing you're a diligent record keeper, Libby's going to treasure your thoughts to her throughout her life!

It"s me said...

I can't believe that she is one year old already! Happy Birthday cutie! That letter was so sweet! You are a great mom!