Wednesday, July 8, 2009

1 Nephi 9:6, the fulfilling of all his words.

When I was a little girl I bought a comic book that had different endings, you could choose- a different story every time you read it. When I read the scriptures, I feel like I'm reading a different book than I read the last time I read them. I love that new things always come to me when I read the scriptures.

Yesterday, I read this scripture, 1 Nephi 9:6,

"...wherefore he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen."

How comforting it was for me to read that.

I don't have power to fulfill the words he has said to me. He has all power unto the fulfilling of all his words.

And notice the three times the word all is used.

He prepareth a way to accomplish ALL his works among the children of men. If it is his will it will happen.

He has ALL power. I don't have control. What a relief.

Unto the fulfilling of ALL his words. The promises that have been made to me will be fulfilled.

As we struggle with our family, its size and the way we're going to bring children into our home it is reassuring to me that I am doing my best and don't have control over some things. It was good to remember that He is in charge.

I love the Scriptures.

4 comments:

LeShel said...

so true-- Kenneth Cope has a song, It's still you, that describes just this.

rachel said...

I love Nephi! Seriously, his soliloquy is one of my absolute favorites...when you get to it, let's discuss :) Beautiful post...beautiful testimony.

Jessica said...

Thanks Christie. I have been reading a book of Elder Maxwell's in which he talks a lot about time and the Lord's timing. No matter how we plan, we just aren't in control. You are right, it is nice to know we aren't in charge. I would also add that it is nice to know how to cope when things don't go the way we plan. Thank goodness for the scriptures and the gospel to have those answers.

Camryn said...

Wow, this was in depth and beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

BTW--LOVED that last post. I think I related with you on many of those things--including the *tiny* things that escape my mouth! What can I say, motherhood brought that side out of me ;)