Monday, January 26, 2009

A Poem

I'm reading a book right now called The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio. I'm loving it. It's about a woman who raised 10 children by "contesting" in the 1950's. I love it because I'm a total believer in strong women, in taking on any challenge, and in determining your own luck! This was a poem written for a contest by Evelyn Ryan quoted by her daughter, the book's author, Terry Ryan. Doesn't it just sound like me?

Writer's Resolution
Enough's Enough! No more shall I
Pursue the Muse and scorch the pie
Or dream of Authoring a book
When I (unhappy soul) must cook;
Or burn the steak while I wool-gather,
And stir my spouse into a lather
Invoking words like "Darn!" and such
And others that are worse (Oh, much!)
Concerning culinary knack
Which I (HE says) completely lack.
I'll keep my mind upon my work;
I'll learn each boresome cooking quirk;
This day shall mark a new leaf's turning...
That smell! Oh Hell! The beans are burning!

11 comments:

Amber Gardiner said...

YOU to a T

Crystal said...

Yes, it does sound like you. Love it.

Do you ever add books to your to read list on goodreads and picture what friends of yours will probably add it too? Well when I added this book to my to read list a couple months ago, I remember being surprised when you didn't add it too. As soon as I read the summary, I thought of you. If anyone could raise their family by winning contests and writing essays, it's you!

I'm glad to know it's a good one.

Jessica said...

It sounds like a good book.

Wendy Evans said...

Love that poem! So great, I think I will have to check out the book.

Erin Axson said...

That is SO YOU!

I need to read this book!

Adrienne said...

Hillarious!!!!

Leila said...

Sounds like a must read. I agree with Crystal - if anyone could do that - YOU could!
I know you don't think of yourself as a good cook - but I seem to have gotten some great recipes from you! Hmm...

si tu veux said...

nice poem. thanks for sharing and intriguing me to read the book. so many books, so little time...

I keep forgetting to call. The Jazz thing is on Wednesday, Feb. 4th. Are you available?

Shauna said...

I am following your blog now :) Hope you have a great day! ♥ Hugs!

Jeana said...

I love that poem. So funny.

Jenney Rees said...

Fantastic!