Thursday, May 7, 2009

Slipping through my fingers all the time.

Tomorrow I will post a long letter to Libby detailing her accomplishments in the past year and how very much she was wanted. I love my kids' birthdays and I love celebrating with them, but I admit to a secret. The night before my girls' birthdays I always decorate the house and cry. I mourn for their growing up, so that I can spend the entire next day in joyous rapture. To be a mother is to rip a band-aid off slowly, over an eighteen year period. It hurts and heals. For every second you have with them is a second less in your collection of moments. Another one of life's great balancing acts I suppose. Today I've been humming that song from Mamma Mia all day, "Slipping through my fingers all the time I try to capture every minute..." They are slipping away, but I am so grateful that as they slip, I grab on to tiny pieces that will never leave me- remaining always in my mind. They are what I will have forever and even take with me when I go.


Slipping Through My Fingers by ABBA
Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I cant deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
Well, some of that we did but most we didn't
And why I just don't know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile...

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Amen to that. And happy birthday little Libby!

LeShel said...

crap, i didn't need the morning cry :)
thanks for the post and the great words that said it so perfectly.

Liz said...

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y !!!
L I B B Y

It"s me said...

Happy Birthday Libby! Oh she is so sweet!

rachel said...

Oh why, oh why do they have to grow up??? Libby is a doll- hope she has a great birthday!

Erin Axson said...

I love sweet Libby. I am not even a mama yet but the day that we found out that Henry was a boy, that evening, i burst into tears because in just 19 years he was going to be leaving me to go on a mission. Yikes.
I am just going to have to get drunk on his first day of school because I am pretty sure that is the only way I will be able to cope!

Amber Gardiner said...

Oh, Talbots, how I miss your beautiful spring dresses. That green dress on Libby made me cry a little. We should take a photo of Annaka in Jordan's and Libby in hers, it's too cute!

suzie said...

I love that song, and think of it often. It's funny how kids want to grow up so fast and we want them to slow down!