Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Faith is like a little...girl.

The girls have been sick this week. I hate and love it when my babies are sick. It breaks my heart, but I love serving them. The late nights, the snuggling, the crying, the holding, the kissing better, the lullabies. Tiring yes, but a privilege. A privilege to serve them, to show them love, to be loved in return. And I've noticed that when they're sick, it's mom they want. Oh they may love daddy more most of the time, but in the wee hours of morning when they're hurting, it's their mother's arms they want to hold them. And these arms are all to happy to oblige.

The past couple years Hailey has gotten severe asthma when she's been sick. Last night she had a pretty bad asthma attack. She was scared and threw up from trying to breathe. Poor little thing. After cleaning her up and giving her a breathing treatment, I was sitting in the dark steamy bathroom with her cradled in my arms. Her eyes shut, her breathing labored. I asked if she would like her Daddy to give her a blessing. She nodded her little sweat dampened head and said, "Yes, oh yes."

I know that it's irreverent, but I kept my eyes open, watching her head on her pillow while Doug leaned over and blessed her. He told her that Heavenly Father loved her and that if she was scared she should pray to him and that he would give her peace. I watched as her little lip quivered. I paused to wonder why it would quiver, why she should feel so emotional at such a young age. I knew that it was because she was feeling God's love and was comforted. She had faith. I wished at that moment that I could be more like my little daughter.

We hear and sing that Faith is like a little seed, but Faith, to me, is like a little girl. My girl. My sweet Hailey.

9 comments:

Liz said...

A beautiful and very touching moment amiss the confusion and sleeplessness of illness. Thanks you for sharing. They, children do have great faith and thus, I guess the statement that we must become as they.

Crystal said...

That's so sweet Christie. I'm inspired by my children's faith as well. It is a privilege to be needed by them.

si tu veux said...

sweet. i hope they both get feeling better, and you.... how are you?

what a tender example.

rachel said...

Such a sweet post, Christie! Some of the most profound spiritual experiences of my life involve the Priesthood blessings of my children.
I am so grateful it is in our homes :) I hope your girls are feeling better!

Jenney Rees said...

Poor little thing! I hope she's doing OK.

Jeana said...

Beautiful blog. I hope they're feeling better!

Wendi said...

So sweet. I love cuddling with the kids.

Marla said...

What a great story! I am so glad she is okay!

suzie said...

Wow, what a touching story. I wish that I could have more faith, what an example she is.