From the time I was a little girl I've really hated it. When I was young I had no idea what people meant when they said it, I only understood that I was bad- that I was funny when I was trying to be serious. Or that I was brushed off completely because I wasn't saying anything important, I was just being dramatic. What people were saying to that child was that her feelings were invalid due to their depth. In saying I'm dramatic what people are saying is that I am 'too'. Too passionate, too happy, too upset, too animated... just too much.
Over the years I learned to brush it off but it has caused me lasting effects. For example, I never trust myself. I say to myself, "Self, what you are feeling isn't real because you are a dramatic person. Take a step back and ignore the feelings." The problem is that sometimes the feelings shouldn't be ignored and most of the time while my REACTIONS are dramatic, the CAUSE of those reactions is NOT.
But the most damaging and humiliating effect is that I have noticed myself doing to my daughter what was done to me as a child. This is a common phrase at my house, "Hailey, (with a roll of my eyes) stop being so dramatic." In saying such things I am what I loathe. I am perpetuating this horrible cycle, and as I heard myself this morning saying it to her, I stopped cold. I saw her little tears and they were my tears. I knew exactly how she was feeling. I was ashamed.
NEWSFLASH TO THE WORLD (INCLUDING MYSELF): Just because we 'dramatic' people experience all emotions passionately does not mean that we are faking the feelings. We actually feel that deeply. We experience life on a different plane. Not a better or worse plane, just a different one. And that should be respected. I know that dealing with us requires a little more patience and disecernment than dealing with 'normal' folk, but I promise you, we're worth the patience.
My dramatics are a gift- so are Hailey's. Yes, we are dramatic, and I'm going to teach my daughter to embrace it for what it is. A beautiful gift.
WHO ARE YOU CALLING DRAMATIC???



10 comments:
I have to admit that I have been called worse things than dramatic, however I too, have been accused of being a drama queen. I choose to look at it like I must have more zest for life than the (jealous) name-caller. I understand you wanting to break the cycle with your daughter. For me, it is the word spoiled, bestowed on me all my childhood and even follows me around now from time to time, and now my innocent little girl is always being told how spoiled she is, like it's a bad thing!
That's what I love about you--I wouldn't want you to be any other way!
AMEN!! There is never a dull moment in being 'dramatic,'is there? I have gotten this too and I always feel guilty for feeling too much or too hard. I am still trying to channel it all. This post really speaks to me...thank you!
I removed my comment because I don't know if it made any sense. But anyways... I think you are perfect the way you are!
I think it's great you are letting your daughter know it's OK to feel strongly, regardless of the emotion. Good for you!
Dramatic people as members of the Cecil and Nina Hansen Family(?)
I don't think you are alone and it is so OKAY to be who you are. We spend too much time trying to get rid of many of our best traits and qualities, because of the way others have made us feel about them. Way to just let go and embrace it in you and your beautiful daughter.
I love you just the way that you are and I wouldn't have it any other way...wait, except if you could stop be anti-dramatic about your health, I would like that!
I am with Amber! I love the detailed description of a funny conversation or something that you have observed but when it comes to a description of how you are feeling its, 'ohhh, you know...'
you sweet girl!
I love you just the way you are!
I love my dramatic friend with all my heart. Isn't that part of what drew me to you in the beginning anyway? Didn't we love going around being as dramatic about life as we possibly could? I think I've definitely become less dramatic over time, but I wouldn't want you any other way. :D
Post a Comment