Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thoughts while on Vacation in West Yellowstone, Montana


Written on June 29, 2011

I'm sitting here at our condo in West Yellowstone typing away on my phone and I'm thinking.

I'm thinking as I listen to the clock on the mantle that time keeps ticking away, that nothing truly stops.

I'm thinking that this is the last time I will be at this run down little timeshare condo. They are selling the timeshares to private owners as no one is paying their maintenance fees anymore in this economy. I'm thinking of my mom at age 22 in 1978 when she bought this place- newly married to my dad and full of hopes and dreams that would never be realized. I'm thinking of the memories here: sprained ankle, fireworks over the lake, day trips into yellowstone, my mom laughing while cooking, running with my brother Robert through fields, finding out my grandma was in a coma, river rafting, my Hailey tucking in her baby doll, a magical kiss from Doug, holding baby Morgan, Libby tucked into my arm last night as I sang her to sleep.

And now it ends.

Things seem to be ending a lot lately. The family I grew up in has all gone away. Soon I'll have surgery and my own baby years will be ending too.

And yet, there is Peace here as I see that it is time. The condo is run down and it isn't what it once was. I watched Libby cry today as we watched a documentary about the wildfire in yellowstone. She was so sad about the big trees. I explained to her about the new baby trees and that they needed the heat from the fire to make the pinecones open up so that the seeds could grow.

We have to let go of the comfortable sometimes, in order for new things to grow.

This fire has opened me. I'm ready for the yet unseen seedlings to grow.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Isn't there a quote about "the relentless march of time?" This post reminded me of it. Relentless is a negative word though, and this post was full of hope too.

thefirewoman said...

Beautiful, Christie!!