When Hailey was about a year old, we had this cute thing that we did. At random moments Doug and I would yell, "Who loves Hailey?" to which all would respond, "MEEEEEEE!" and Hailey would raise her hand in the air and in her sweet little articulate voice yell, "MEEEEEEE!" I know it's gramatically incorrect, but come on she was 1. I haven't thought about it in years actually, which makes me wonder what other priceless memories I have tucked into the recesses of my brain.
So the other day as I was trying to help her buckle her car seat (to which she batted my hands away and said "I'm not a baby, gosh!") I had this instant take your breath away moment where the memory of a little Hailey came flooding back to me. In my memory I was buckling her into her seat and asking, "Who loves Hailey?" and rubbing our noses together while she raised her hand and said, "MEEEEEE!" What struck me about that memory is how confident and brave Hailey has been from birth. While thrilled that I'm raising such an independent, self-assured, precocious little girl, confidence comes with a price. And that price is the breaking of my heart.
So off she goes into the world, confident as can be. Excited doesn't begin to describe how she feels about going to school. And as far as she's concerned, the only emotion that I feel at this monumentous occasion is elation. But at nighttime over the past two weeks when I'm alone with my thoughts I cry and mourn the closing of this chapter.
We're celebrating our last day together as she and I have always done things together- in grand fashion. We're going to get her hair cut, get our toes painted, go school shopping, go out to dinner- the works. And tonight, after she's asleep, I'm going to rock my baby. And I'm going to repeat over and over, "Who loves Hailey? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

7 comments:
That is really sweet, all the plans you have together today. I wish I could do something like that with Chay to mark this special transition. I hope you both have a wonderful day. And next week you can call me and we can cry a little bit together. :(
...Or I can call you.
Hailey is so big! Call me if you need to cry!
I will be thinking about you on monday!
Super cute! She is going to love school! I just can't believe how old she is. It seems like yesterday she was this cute little baby!
Who loves Hailey WEEEEE all do.
Hailey, you'll be a great student and we hope you love Kindergarten.
Aunt Liz
This post brought tears to my eyes! It is true. Read my post about sending your kids to school. It helps put a perspective on it.
I just started crying! Your girls are so lucky to have you. My favorite part of the school day though--going to pick my daughter up. It may feel like it, but you're not losing her. Even though she's big, she still needs you A LOT.
Post a Comment