
My fabulous sister-in-law Erin pointed out to me that Anne of Green Gables is turning 100 years old in April. In celebration of this monumental occasion I will be hosting an Anne of Green Gables party. We will be dressing in 1908 attire and going to Tea (picture Anne at Tea at the Barrie's house) at the Protea cottage in Gardner Village after which we will be coming to my house where we will have a marathon watching of our favorite Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea scenes and we will be eating Pizza. This party is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 26. It will be $25.00. Interested parties should contact me. :)
Also, to get you all in the spirit of the occasion, I am posting the following blog, previously seen on my now passed away myspace blog.
A Kindred Spirit- A Bosom Friend.
Every once in a great while a book (or series of books) comes along and while you read you feel like you are finally home.
When I was nine years old my Dad gave me a set of books: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I've treasured them, but never picked them up. How I made it through girlhood without reading these classics is a mystery to me as I now firmly believe that every girl should read Anne. I loved the movies. I still do. I can watch all of them right through- breaking only to use the facilities and restock my junk food.
A week or so ago I looked at them on my shelf and decided that it was high time I read them. To say that I related to Anne is putting it mildly. I more feel like Lucy Maud Montgomery looked forward a hundred years into the future, saw me (and my daughter for that matter) and went back and wrote about me. I feel like the very soul of Anne is so much like me, it's uncanny. I love her misadventures, her willingness to be bold and fight for a cause, her dramatics, her love for fashion. I love Avonlea. I love Marilla and Matthew- OH MATTHEW!!! And of course I love Gilbert Blythe.
From the minute I picked the book up I laughed and cried aloud. It has been a delightful week. I could have read it faster than I did, but there are so few of the books that I've savored it, allowing myself small bits every day- even rereading some of Anne's most glorious little speeches. About half way through the week I went online and researched L.M. Montgomery. I thrilled to discover that the original manuscript of Anne of Green Gables resides at the University of Guelph (a mere mile from my dad's house). I can't wait till August when I'll get to go see it! And I'm planning a trip to Prince Edward Island to see the house that inspired the Books. Yes, it is a thirteen hour drive from Guelph to PEI but I don't care!
I finished the first book about an hour ago, flailed myself flat on my face on the floor and just sobbed. Suffice it to say, I loved the book. We're talking an all time favorite type liking. As Anne would say, I truly feel as if I've found a kindred spirit- a bosom friend.
Also, to get you all in the spirit of the occasion, I am posting the following blog, previously seen on my now passed away myspace blog.
A Kindred Spirit- A Bosom Friend.
Every once in a great while a book (or series of books) comes along and while you read you feel like you are finally home.
When I was nine years old my Dad gave me a set of books: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I've treasured them, but never picked them up. How I made it through girlhood without reading these classics is a mystery to me as I now firmly believe that every girl should read Anne. I loved the movies. I still do. I can watch all of them right through- breaking only to use the facilities and restock my junk food.
A week or so ago I looked at them on my shelf and decided that it was high time I read them. To say that I related to Anne is putting it mildly. I more feel like Lucy Maud Montgomery looked forward a hundred years into the future, saw me (and my daughter for that matter) and went back and wrote about me. I feel like the very soul of Anne is so much like me, it's uncanny. I love her misadventures, her willingness to be bold and fight for a cause, her dramatics, her love for fashion. I love Avonlea. I love Marilla and Matthew- OH MATTHEW!!! And of course I love Gilbert Blythe.
From the minute I picked the book up I laughed and cried aloud. It has been a delightful week. I could have read it faster than I did, but there are so few of the books that I've savored it, allowing myself small bits every day- even rereading some of Anne's most glorious little speeches. About half way through the week I went online and researched L.M. Montgomery. I thrilled to discover that the original manuscript of Anne of Green Gables resides at the University of Guelph (a mere mile from my dad's house). I can't wait till August when I'll get to go see it! And I'm planning a trip to Prince Edward Island to see the house that inspired the Books. Yes, it is a thirteen hour drive from Guelph to PEI but I don't care!
I finished the first book about an hour ago, flailed myself flat on my face on the floor and just sobbed. Suffice it to say, I loved the book. We're talking an all time favorite type liking. As Anne would say, I truly feel as if I've found a kindred spirit- a bosom friend.

4 comments:
I love the books and the movies! I remember a time when Leila and I watched the movies together when dad was out of town. Oh the memories.
I always knew we were Kindred Spirits!!! I am SUCH an "Anne" fan - there is a reason it's Victoria's middle name - "Anne with an 'e'" of course! I read all of the books when I was 13 and still relish re-reading them too. They are brimming with literary jewels!
You will LOVE visiting PEI - we went there for our 2nd Anniversary and stayed in Cavendish (where L.M. Mongomery's lived). We'll have to chat about it!
I'm checking my schedule - but I would LOVE to attend the Anne Celebration!
-Tamara
I love how, like Anne, you live life romantically. Just now, I can see you floating down a stream in a sinking boat quoting the Lady of Shalott, I only have to close my eyes.
That sounds like fun...but I want to be Diana! Do I really have to fight Jeana and Christie off for that role?
Post a Comment