Sunday, March 30, 2008

Family

Some of you may know that I was called to the Young Women's presidency in my LDS ward. It's been two months now and I love it. I won't go into the details of being called. It satisfies me to say that it was a sweet experience that I will keep close to my heart. At the end of the day I hope that my influence ends up being a good thing in their lives- in spite of my (at times) unconventional opinions and advice.

One of my laurels, Alex, taught the lesson today. It was about family and extended family relationships. She did such a good job. I was so proud of her. Throughout her lesson I thought of my family relationships and felt such fondness for the people that are in my family and extended family. At the end of her lesson, she did a cute thing. She made a list entitled "Because of my family I..." and read us the list. It had inside jokes and little stories. But when she read it, you just knew what her family meant to her. It wasn't the typical things you hear. It was sweet. It inspired me to come home and write this blog in relation to growing up in my family/extended family:







Because of my family I...
  • Know what it's like to body surf in the Mediteranian Sea

  • Love all vegetables, and German home heating stoves called caucolophins

  • Have seen what an algae bloom looks like in the middle of the night

  • Have lived in two countries

  • am able to stand up for the underdog, love people who don't belong, and serve others happily

  • never performed without people I loved filling the seats

  • didn't have to be raised alone

  • am able to see that you can find a best friend in spite of a 50 year age difference

  • got to have glow in the dark stars on the ceiling of my first college apartment

  • am tolerant of people and try to look at the good in people rather than the bad

  • Love butter

  • Know that no matter what, I'm not alone

3 comments:

It"s me said...

That was so sweet! And I love the cute old family photos!

Amber Gardiner said...

I admire how positive you are about everything. Good Job! And look at all that hair you had as a kid, ah the ignorant days when we thought it would last forever.

Erin Axson said...

I love that i get to be a part of your family! Darling pictures! The Young Women are lucky to have you.