Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pregnancy Challenges

Dear Family,

Doug and I got some troubling news yesterday at the Perinatologist. On top of the other challenges we have been dealing with during this pregnancy (MTHFR blood clotting disorder, hyperemesis, anemia, Subchorionic Hemotoma etc.) I now have a condition called polyhydraminos. Basically, it’s too much amniotic fluid. I have at 29 weeks the amount of amniotic fluid I should have full term. At first they thought this may be due to gestational diabetes, but I did the glucose test and that came back negative. Unfortunately the other possible causes they gave me were not great. A few of the possibilities included down’s syndrome and renal failure for the baby. Decisions on whether to proceed with amniocentesis for diagnostics will be made next week. There is also a possibility that we’ll never know why this condition has presented and our little baby will be born perfectly healthy. We, of course, hope for this. This new complication is also going to cause me further problems. As you may (or may not) know I went into pre-term labor last week and have dilated to a 2 at only 28 (now 29) weeks. I have been told this will continue to happen as the amount of fluid in my uterus is inducing labor. Going into labor is dangerous because of the vertical cut I had during my surgery in 2009. (The reason I need a c-section at 36 weeks) I also may need to have amniotic fluid drained daily at which point I will be admitted to the hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy.

It’s a lot to take in. But Doug and I are at total peace. We are so excited to welcome baby Christian into our home. His arrival will be the fulfillment of our heart’s desires, the answer to many prayers, and a gift to our family. I have felt his spirit close to me for YEARS. His persistence to be born has enabled us to fight many physical challenges and become pregnant when it was deemed “impossible.” It is this specific determined boy that I want and I will take him, with joy, however he is presented to us. It is every parent’s wish that their child be born in a perfect body with a perfect mind; that they live a full, long life; that no horrible things ever happen to them. And yet, this is not the case for anyone in this mortal life. And so we pray only that our will for Christian and for our life with him can be aligned with the will of our Father in Heaven. Of course, the path is unclear and so we look forward with Faith and excitement only; not gloom. We pray for peace and for strength to embrace with joy whatever journey lie ahead.

In 7 weeks from Monday I will be 36 weeks (the 23rd of April). This is as far as the Doctors will let this pregnancy go. We need at least 5 weeks for his health. We are sending this to ask for your fasting and prayers on behalf of our baby.

We love you, we pray for you all and your families. Thank you in advance for your kind thoughts, fasting and prayers.

Love,
Doug, Christie and family

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Prayers and hugs heading your way... your faith is inspiring. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and this pregnancy with us! Love you!

Jeana said...

I'm praying for you--and thinking of you tons.

LeShel said...

you are beautiful. thanks for sharing your strength and testimony. sometimes i feel so weak and really depend on others. i'm glad for the goodness that is in my family, goodness like you.
you will continue to be in my prayers. may you feel peace thicker than possible.

Cami said...

Thank you for sharing this and giving us an opportunity to pray for you and your family.
God be with you, your body and your baby.

si tu veux said...

Your words express such an eternal perspective. You are in our prayers and thoughts and fast. Thank you for including us as you endeavor this great masterpiece. What a blessing to have watch care over you all; your son with you. Xoxoxxx

Liz said...

We have been fasting and praying for you, today! Our prayers will be with you each and everyday! Yor faith is an example to all of us! Tender mercies and God's blessings will be with you and your family!
We love you!
Aunt Liz and Uncle Kim