Monday, March 28, 2011

I Love You is spelled D-A-F-F-O-D-I-L-S.

I'm having a trial with my health. It's been going for 6 years. It's lame. It ebbs and flows in its severity. It also ebbs and flows in my ability to deal with it and all that comes with it. Last week was kind of hard. Doug and I have had some serious talks and agreed to put all baby plans on hold until I get control of my constantly unraveling health. We made some plans on how to get me well. I had yet another priesthood blessing. This agreement with Doug was a hard agreement to make as another child is something I long for so much, but it wasn't his idea alone. For a few weeks now I've felt very strongly that God cannot bless me with an increase in my family or tell me how that increase is to occur until I am well enough to care for another person.

On Monday I saw my new Dr. and was diagnosed as officially infertile. I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome on top of thy myriad of other health issues I'm dealing with. On Wednesday DCFS called and said that they had a baby waiting for me at the Christmas Box house. Immediately, in my heart, this was my baby. I called Doug. I knew what he would say. I knew what I had agreed to. He said no, of course. Calling DCFS and telling them no broke my heart in two. I didn't want Doug to come home and listen to me cry about it. I didn't want him to feel guilty for simply going along with the plan we had both agreed to. Also, men don't get women's hearts sometimes. They don't understand how someone can utter the words, "we have a baby for you," and the woman can chuck all her carefully agreed to plans out the window.

So I needed to call the people who would understand... My mother in law listened to me vent and bawl. The next day I opened my garage and sitting on my back step were these beautiful daffodils and a sweet note of encouragement. In one of my favorite plays, "The Curious Savage", it is explained that the words I Love You can be expressed in many ways like, Take an umbrella, it's raining. In that moment I didn't see daffodils. I saw a woman outside in the rain cutting all of her newly bloomed daffodils to give to me. I saw her making time in her incredibly busy day to bring them and leave them for me to find. I saw LOVE!

In life there is heartbreak. Painful, overwhelming, soul crushing heartbreak.

But... There are also Daffodils.

Take an umbrella, it's raining.

If ye have done it unto the least of these by bretheren, ye have done it unto me.

all say...I love you.

I want to get better. I'm working hard to that end. I have faith that the end is in sight and that all of God's plans for me will be fulfilled. In the meantime... Thanks, to all of you who love me and for all of the ways in which you say it. I love you too.

7 comments:

rachel said...

Sending all my love and prayers your way, Christie!! I've always loved daffodils, but they will take on even more significance now.

Cami said...

Oh Christie, my heart is so full. This is such a good example of the light that can come after the trial we have gives us a surprise right hook.
Love and prayers to you. I am sorry for the struggles you have been dealing with.

Jeana said...

Beautiful post! I love you Christie!

Crystal said...

This post made me cry, Chris. Beautiful thoughts by a beautiful person.

LeShel said...

how wonderful to have this beautiful woman in your life! i remember she once gave me flowers. i still think of that moment often. so sorry for the tough times!! my heart aches for you. you are strong but always remember there's nothing wrong with not being strong. i'm glad you have a couple people you can take your not strong moments to and they will hold your heart and soul.

in time out said...

i am so sorry christie. this breaks my heart for you. you will be in our thoughts and prayers. with love.

Sherilyn said...

Christie, I want you to know how strong you are. I love you and I know you'll get through this. I have PCOS too, it sucks and I am sorry. Please come to me with anything you need. Love you much! Sheri