Thursday, April 7, 2011

I am ending an unhealthy relationship. My lover and I are breaking up!

***WARNING, ALERT: I have become one of those cuckoos who overshares and talks about their body on their blog. If this offends you, Kindly close this site :)***

I love food. But as much as I love food, we have to break up. As silly as it may sound I actually feel emotional over this break up. I use food for everything. Food is how I celebrate, how I relax, how I get away, how I mourn, how I fume. For every emotion there is a corresponding food.

But behind this breakup is a very long story...

I am sick. My health has been on a sometimes sudden, sometimes gradual but always steady decline since 2002. No one seems to have been able to find the source of my problems although many of them manifest themselves in my reproductive system.

Recently I was given a blessing that promised me that the end was in site. After all of these years of prayers and pleading, I think it truly is. In the past 2 years alone I have seen 13 doctors and been on 26 different medications. While some Doctors have attempted to treat individual symptoms, no one has looked at my entire body and how my many symptoms have worked together to make me this ill. Most of the Doctors I have seen want to treat me with Synthetic drugs. Last year I began to research Natural approaches to things, but no doctors would hear of it. In fact, I had one doctor actually tell me not to bother coming back to him until I threw away any homeopathic remedies I had in my home! I continued to research and became fascinated with how food might be playing into my problems. After this year I have become convinced that I needed a doctor who would treat me with a more holistic approach and yet still retain some of the western ideologies of medicine.

Two weeks ago, through a miraculous turn of events I found the one (the one doctor for me that is!): Dr. Stuart Porter in Provo (who already has 5 referrals from me). He is AWESOME.

Last week he took my blood and today was my results appointment. I have the following:

CONDITIONS:

  • Hypoglycemia

  • Disglycemia

  • Adrenal Discord

  • Low "Fountain of Youth" hormone production (didn't catch it's technical name

  • Insulin Resistance

  • Adnomyoma Tumor

  • Adnomyosis

  • PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome

  • Low Iron Serum (Anemia)

  • Subpar Thyroid Function (not enough production)

  • Low Ferritin (a 5!)

  • Low Hermatacrit

  • Low Vitamin D

  • Leaky Gut Syndrome

  • High Estrogen

  • Low Progesterone

  • Melatonin Deficiency

  • B Vitamin Deficiency
ALLERGIES: Severe

  • Gluten (Wheat, Rye, Barley, Spelt, some Oats)

  • Pasturized Cows milk

  • Soy

  • Refined Sugars

  • Pecans

  • Walnuts
Moderate

  • Peanuts
Mild

  • Rice

  • Almonds

  • Chocolate

  • Cheese

  • eggs

  • corn
So not only am I going on 34 medicines/supplements/hormones, but I'm going on the world's most difficult diet. I'm writing this post because I'm about to break up with food and when it gets hard, it will be nice to read this and remember how awful I felt. It might give me courage to say no to Green Bean Casserole at Thanksgiving Dinner, or Cake on my birthday. I don't write it to whine. But yes, having all these conditions and their accompanying symptoms makes me feel downright terrible. I can't have a child. I can't get going in the morning. I can't sleep at night. My digestion sucks (gross but true). My hair has thinned. My skin is bad. My moods are unpredictable. Etc. and so forth. It's awful.

I have a plan. Here it is:

I am going to bust my rear and do amazingly well on my diet, medicines, supplements, hormones, exercise for 4 months at which time I will try to become pregnant without IVF or artificial hormones. If by January this does not happen, then this was not the way our family was meant to grow and I will have a full hysterectomy, then be healthy and we'll be free to pursue adoption with our whole hearts. If I do become pregnant I will have the hysterectomy with my c-section. No more cancer/anemia causing tumors and a new baby for me!

God has heard my prayers and the end is in sight, just as he has said. The trouble is that the path from here to the end looks like a really difficult path to me. Simply stated, I have no idea how I will find the strength and willpower to get to that end. I know that I can't go without wheat for my whole life, but I can today. And when I can't for a whole day, I can for a moment. Maybe that's how I'll get through. Moment by moment. And I can picture the end. A time when I feel fantastic; when my physical body keeps up with my soul; Where I can hold a baby in my arms. Tonight as I held Sarah's new baby I thought, "I want this more than I want bread."

God promised an end in sight. He didn't promise an easy path. I feel like he is offering me my heart's deepest longings if I have the courage to go and get them.

So Food... I'm sorry to say, we're breaking up. I no longer need you to celebrate, mourn, fume, relax, etc. I need you only for nourishment. On an emotional level, we're through! Here I am today at the Brick Oven where my sweet husband took me for my farewell to Gluten/Refined Sugars lunch. Goodbye pasta, garlic bread, red cream soda and apple sucker!

10 comments:

Jeana said...

Wow! This is going to be hard but I know you can do it! Good luck!

Adrienne said...

I know you can do this! You are strong! Love you!

Crystal said...

We go to the same place for farewell to food dinners (different reasons obviously). I know you can do this. You know my belief in these remedies. It will be hard, but I'll be supporting you however I can. Let me know anything I can do to help you along the way. Love you. Be strong.

The Leonards said...

My sister in-laws mother does a very strict diet for a condition she has and it works so well for her! There is a lady in our ward as well who is unable to eat gluten, so she always has her own special bread for the sacrament and her mom constantly posts recipes that are gluten free. I know they may have some ingredients that you still might not be able to eat but I can send them over to you whenever she posts one!

Camryn said...

Oh Christie! I'm so sorry! But I know you can do it and I wish you the best!

BTW--my sister in law was on the same path as you. 7 years of research and changing her diet (she had so many chronic health problems) she researched food and how to change her lifestyle. She has written books, cook books, has articles published online, and she has a website where you can STILL eat breads, cakes, treats, without flour--and doing other remedies. She has won awards for her recipes. If you EVER want to talk to her, she is always consulting people with their diets and then gives you recipes to fit you and your needs.

You can reach her through her yummy website:


http://www.thepeacefulkitchen.blogspot.com/


And if you can't do cow's milk, or soy milk, she has other solutions for milk and dairy-free recipes. AND she has a TON of gluten free recipes. Her daughter is Gluten intolerant--and she herself was-- but cured herself of it.

She too, does holistic stuff and she has cured herself of SO SO many problems, I can't name them all.

Her recipes are amazing! I hope it helps you still enjoy food--and I wish you a happier and healthier year! :)

LeShel said...

This would be so difficult for me because of my connection with food, like yours. I know how strong you and I know you'll find some delish recipes.

si tu veux said...

best to you Christie. I truly hope this helps! ♥

Christie Gardiner said...

Thanks everyone, I feel so loved.

Sherilyn said...

I know this will be hard, but if anyone can do it you can. Love you much!

thefirewoman said...

I have no doubt that you will do this. You are AMAZING and I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this!! The end will be beautiful...I know it.

This is Rachel by the way :)