Blue Baby and Pink Baby
This is blue baby and pink baby. I bought them when we were temporarily in between houses and living with Doug's mom and dad. When it became apparent to me that one or two weeks was going to be one or two months, I decided the girls needed something to snuggle at night so I bought these dolls simply for economics, 19 bucks for the pair. One doll for each girl. That never really happened. Libby adopted them both and she is never far from them. I tried to name them (Carlos and Rachel) but the names never really stuck. To my little girl they are simply blue baby and pink baby.
PiggyPiggy was given to us at one of my baby showers by my cousin Nick's wife (Chelsea). It wasn't even the gift. It was attatched to the gift. It was the wrapping. And yet piggy is Hailey's constant companion. Even now at the age of seven, piggy is still in her bed every night. Piggy is worn so well she's nearly bald in spots.
Yellow BlanketAunt Amber gave us this blanket when Libby was born. It is the softest blanket ever! It used to be the prettiest lemon yellow. It's now faded with age and love and has a dingy sort of greyish hue. Libby MUST have this blanket to sleep. When she was an infant with laryngomalacia and crying all the time, she would rub this (or my garment tops) across her face to fall asleep.
Flag Blankie
I bought flag blankie at a yard sale in a big bag of baby clothes when I was a million years pregnant with Hailey. Yup, it's the one she loves. Not the ones hand embroidered by aging relatives. Not the silk or crepe. Not the one I crocheted. Nope. This one. The ten cent blanket with printed kites (that somehow Hailey has always thought were flags.). Flag blankie has made forts, been a cape, been a kleenex, and many other great and creative things. The hole it came with (yup even came with a hole) is pretty large now but still it is loved with all of my Hailey girl's heart.
These are the things I treasure. If my house were to catch fire these are among the things I would save. These are the things that I will bury my face into when I am old and remember my precious children. How truly extraordinary it is to be a mother.

2 comments:
I am giggling a little because in four days time you progressed from griping about all your kids' stuff to treasuring some of it.
I loved this last post. The treasuring instinct is universal in children and maybe in all of us.
We have some of those things (but different "wonderful" things) at our house too.
Post a Comment