Friday, September 24, 2010

A Gripe

Is it too much to ask that the children play with a grouping of toys...barbies let's say...and then put them away in their bin before getting out the next item?

I have individually marked bins for all toys: calico critters, barbies, lincoln logs, potato heads, polly pockets ...etc. I noticed last week that we had cross-pollination between the toys. I casually remarked to Doug that what I really needed to do was to dump everything out and reorganize, but lamented about the lack of time/energy and decided to wait till we move. Apparently, the girls didn't hear that last part and when I walked down to the playroom they had dumped every single toy out into the middle of the floor and stirred them all up. When I saw it I was so royally furious that I just backed away and shut the door.

It has been a week and I have now decided to face the music and re-divide everything.

A place for everything and everything in its place... is that so hard? I have systems for the laundry, the toys, the pots and pans, the dishes, everything. Only, no one in this house respects my systems and so I get to live in the chaos of these people. Seriously, the only place where I am a pig is my car, the rest it totally due to my family.

You know, I heard a story at education week about these women who were in Relief Society griping about their husbands leaving their socks all over the floor. The woman telling the story said that she was sitting behind two widows. One leaned to the other and said, "I wish I had socks to clean up." And the overwhelmingly manipulative little story's point is well taken. I'm thankful I have socks (and toys and dishes and undies and food and laundry and dirty towels and homework and backpack and wrappers...etc.) to clean up.

But oh, for the pottery-barn-perfect house I envision in my mind...

The Playroom after I have been cleaning it for two hours. The pile of toys was higher than the couch.

No comments: