June 13, 2010
Dear Hailey,
Another year has past and up you grow, a little more every day. Right now I call you "legs" because you are all legs. Skinny, long, bruised-kneed legs. You're a bean pole and SO tan. You also decided to chop your hair this year. (I was shopping in the boutique and you convinced the stylist to chop it!) You're so beautiful. I can't believe that you came from me.
I've started this thing where every night after prayers, songs, stories, drinks, teeth, potty, another drink and tucking in my two girls, I come back to your room. I say, "scooch over Hai" and you scoot. I hug you tight to me and say, "Is there anything you want to talk about?" And then we talk. We could solve the world's problems, you and I. Just us, and a sunggly bed. Hey, at least we solved all the problems of a first grader. I'm trying to do this so that you'll talk to me now, but also so that you'll talk to me when you're a teenager. For the rest of your time here at home I plan on talking to you about your life every single night. I'm trying to let you tell me how you are going to solve your problems instead of me solving them for you. This is hard for me! As your mommy I naturally want to make everything right for you, but I know it will be better in the end if you can do it for yourself.
This year you have excelled in your extra-curricular activities! You are an awesome gymnast! You are in level 2 gymnastics in only a few months! I'm impressed girl-friend! Your coach is Dan, who is strict. You don't love that he's strict, but I do. Someone has to be as strong-willed as you are! You are also loving swimming this summer on the HAST swim team. We just went to your first meet. I watched you poised for your first race and saw your little arms shaking with nerves, but you did it beautifully and even got a ribbon! Ninth place on your first meet!
You loved School. Your first grade teacher was Mrs. Hulme. Some of the friends you are playing with this year include: Fiona, Ari, Lindsay, Chynna, and Lacey. You also love playing with Chaylee and cousins Jordan and Annaka. But I can honestly say that your best friend is Libby. You guys play together and I love it. Libby waits for you to come home so that you can boss her around! And you are happy to oblige!
The best thing about you continues to be the way you treat and love other people. You have a sweet, tender heart and I love that about you.
Your sass is certainly starting to increase, much to my chagrin. Thankfully, you're only 10% sass, 90% sweet.
You are reading at a fourth grade reading level (at least that's where your teacher stopped testing you. Why she stopped, I have no idea!) You're a read-a-holic and I can't tell you how many times I've found you with your wind up flashlight and a book when you are supposed to be asleep. Naughty girl! But there are worse things I suppose. Sometimes, when I know you're really into a book, I even pretend I don't see you reading in bed just so you can finish! Your favorites this year have included, The Great Illustrated Classics, Ivy and Bean, Samantha books, Magic Treehouse, and Harry Potter. There are sometimes when I even find you reading your scriptures. I can't tell you how it feels to come upon your daughter reading the scriptures as the sunlight pours in her window and kisses her head. I hope you know that feeling someday. It's pretty great!
Daddy is teaching you how to ride your bike. All four of us were there when you did it for the first time. It was awesome. Then you fell. I wanted to scoop you up and go inside, but I forced myself to walk over, kiss your bleeding knee and stick you right back on the bike. Sheesh, being a mom is hard!
Hailey, seven years ago you made me a mother. Your presense in my life has changed me more than anyone's ever has. I'm so glad to have you in my life; so honored to call you my sweet baby girl.
Happy Birthday Baby. Love,
Mommy
For your family party I made you a lemon cake and seven lemon cupcakes. You were so sweet.



No comments:
Post a Comment