Monday, November 24, 2008

That's It! I'm giving in!

I've been resisting the Christmas Music bandwagon since Halloween, but today I decided that I'm giving in. It reminds me of a sweet memory that I have:

When I was pregnant with Hailey I was unprepared for what I was to face. If you knew me then you know I had some pretty serious medical issues with Hailey that I didn't know how to take care of. Luckily I had a little more of an idea how to deal with my specific medical concerns when I had Libby.

One particularly difficult afternoon in early October of 2003 I felt like I was at the end of my rope. I called my grandma and poured my heart out to her. (She was such a good listener) After expressing all of my heartache to her she, through her own tears, shared the only solution she could think of... Turn on Christmas music! She told me that no matter what time of the year it was she would do this when she was near the edge. I did it and you know what? I felt a little better. Oh how I miss my Gram!

I love the Christmas season. I love thinking of Christ and you know what? I love the other aspects too. I do love Santa, ribbons, bows, silver bells, good cheer, and most of all I love being with my family (my husband and kids , Doug's fam, and my own mom and brothers) to celebrate the birth of our Savior.

This morning I feel so overwhelmed with blessings and excitement for the season! So I'm embracing Christmas 5 days early. Bring on the tunes!

8 comments:

Liz said...

I know people who listen to Christmas music all year long. Reason: Music is simply about Christ.
I have been rehearsing since August and I know it adds to my life. Others around me may get tired of hearing me, oh well.
I pray it will bring you peace and comfort.
Aunt Liz

Wendy Evans said...

Simply, effective and wonderful. Going to try it myself! Thanks for sharing.

Amber Gardiner said...

Oh, I love Christmas music. The John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album and The Osmond's christmas are my TOTAL FAVES! I just love the season, the giving, the good tidings, the singing out loud in the car (where you actually know the words), I love it ALL!

Crystal said...

Glad you are embracing it. We've been enjoying the Holly channel on XM for almost a month now. My girls have been watching and singing along to Barbie in a Christmas Carol everyday for 3 weeks. Merry Christmas!

It"s me said...

I have been listening to Christmas music since the beginning of Nov. There were some CD's I found when putting some things away and I just had to listen. I love Christmas music! It is also my favorite time because I let my 2nd graders listen to the Chipmunks Christmas album. (Which I totally love)

Amy said...

check out sarah mclachlan's christmas cd titled Wintersong. I absolutely love it!!

Jessica said...

I have been listening to it for a while now and my favorite is Josh Groban's Noel, that he released last year. It just puts my whole soul at ease. My kids also love it. I guess with my callings though, I can't help but listen to it early. I have to start playing it in August to be ready in December.

P and L said...

Remember when Jeff and Blake T. bet each other who could listen to *only* Christmas music the longest? I think it may have made Jeff a little crazy...

But I always like it when it's time to fire up the Christmas tunes, too. I came home from work today, and P was in the kitchen making a pumpkin pie and listening to the Kristen Chenowith Christmas album. And, turns out, still straight, so it was a win-win!

I'm glad you're blogging again, and I'm sure your house drama will resolve itself soon, and you'll see the pattern in the trial. Hang in there!

~L