Sunday, June 22, 2008

Time...

Although I've never presumed to understand the majesty and mysteries of God, I have some theroies. Time, for instance. I sincerely believe that time is a mortal creation to put order to our life experience. I don't believe that God opperates with Time. This long-held theory of mine has served to explain much for me in my life. Mortal creation, order, call it what you will- whatever time is, it passes too quickly and is often filled with things that don't matter. Yesterday I filled more meaning into 8 hours than I have found in the entire past week.

My life's meaning is most often found with my family. Doug, Hailey and Libby. These precious people, that through the Love of God have come into my life and with whom I am building something truly powerful with. Something that can withstand whatever we are asked to face in this life. Something that will last beyond the mortal confines of time. Something that matters. Our little Family.
Yesterday we hiked 5 miles to Silver Lake. I was so proud of Hailey- she did the entire hike on her own and it wasn't an easy hike. The hike had its moments, namely the massive screaming that both children (mostly Hailey) decided to gift to us about a quarter mile in when they realized what hiking was- lots of climbing, sweating, and skinned knees.
After my lecture to Hailey about "bucking up" and "that's life" and "we're going to leave you crying by the side of the trail," I was ready to turn around, but my amazing husband swooped in and took over. He calmed the baby, made Hailey our fearless leader, and convinced me that we could do this- all in two minutes. We were off.
It's one of the prettiest hikes that I have ever been on. And the payoff when you get to the top is just amazing! We soaked our little toes in the lake and took it all in. We talked about what we are thankful for. I spent a few moments in quiet reflection; thinking of my testimony, my devotional for girl's camp next week and the fact that I am so thankful that I have my body back. More wonderful than looking better is the fact that I CAN hike- a thing I was too out of shape to do for the past few years. We watched the fish jump and play and shared a fruit roll up.
There was another mental breakdown when Hailey realized that we had to hike back down and that she had to use the wilderness for a potty. But soon all was well again. We made up stories, sang songs, and used the hike as a metaphor for life to teach Hailey on the way back.
The wildflowers, clouds, pine forrests, aspen glens, catepillar cacoons, glaciers, waterfalls, pools, bugs, birds, rocks, mountains, scenic views and of course Silver Lake itself were all majestic beyond expression. But the majesty that most touched me was found in the three hikers I shared the day with.
On this Sunday, I thank God for my family. And for the "time" he gives me with them.

2 comments:

Amber Gardiner said...

Wow, looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

It"s me said...

I can't believe that Hailey hiked that long! It looks so pretty!