Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Hailey



June 13, 2008


Dear Hailey,


Today you turned 5! It seems as if you were just a baby in my arms and now I can barely hold you in my arms- you're so big. I love every bit of you from your little always-painted-pink toes to your out of control frizzy brown hair. But the things I love most about you are internal. Your spirit. I love your dramatics and passion for life. I love the way you care about other people. You have a love for people that amazes me for someone so young. You aren't afraid to hug and love everyone. This includes people who are elderly, people who need a wheel chair, people who may look or talk differently than you do. I was worried about how you would be with a new baby in the house, but you have exceeded any expectation that I could have had in how deeply you love your sister. You are her best friend truly and I hope it always stays that way. Her first smile was for you! You love having someone worship you the way she does and she loves to be loved by you. I laugh every day because of the funny things you say and your incredible vocabulary! Words like: curious, exploration, paleontologist, and suffice have no problem coming out of your mouth in the correct context. As your dance teacher says, you are 5 going on 25. You have a strong spirit and a love for God. When you were born I became a mother and I treasure every moment of these past five years with you, my sweet Hai Hai.


This Past Year

Some of your favorites:
  • Piggy- your stuffed animal
  • Your Flag Blankey
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Reading
  • The Princess Bride
  • Singing along to Enchanted
  • Primary
  • The Dinosaur Museum
When you grow up you want to be:

  • A paleontologist

Some of your friends:

  • Ben Burdette
  • Kiley Garnett
  • Clara Smith
  • Lexi Rogers
  • Libby Webb
Some of your dislikes:
  • Pretty much everything I make for dinner. We have to beg you to eat and it makes me insane. This is a recent development in our usually adventurous eater. The most frustrating thing is what you hate today, you may love tomorrow!
  • Helping around the house. You act so picked on!
Things you are doing:
  • Dance Lessons- Ultimate Dance Etc.
  • Swimming Lessons- Level 3
  • Mom and Me Preschool

Cute things you said:

  • November 2007 just before thanksgiving you said "I am most thankful for my baby sister being on earth and not in heaven anymore."
  • December 2007 you told the following joke while we were driving in the car running errands (Erins as you call them), "Mom and Dad, what do some people call their errands?... ROBERTS!"
  • Our neighbor passed away and Hailey asked me if when I sing the song "Angel Friends" will Heidi be one of the angel friends now?
  • Doug was trying to put you to bed and after several attempts you fell dramatically on the floor and proclaimed, "Daddy, I'm struggling!"
  • And my all time favorite thing you said this year: I was cleaning the house frantically and you asked why. I told you that someone special was coming to visit. You got very excited and said, "Oh mommy, is it Jesus?"
  • After watching the PG rated movie Return to Me you picked up some choice words. Rob's cell phone rang and you said, "Rob, your ass is ringing."
  • At the ward camp out you said two cute things, first off you asked people, "Could we interest you in a hot dog?" and secondly you said to the Bishop as we saw him on the path to the restrooms, "Bishop, the men's room is right over there." Oh you are funny!
  • Regarding your dance recital you told us that "I have fulfilled my lifelong dream of being on the stage."

I love you Hailey!

MOMMY


For Hailey's 5th birthday we made a butterfly cake at her request which we decorated together. We went to the dinosaur museum, then had a family party at home, then attended the ward campout.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, I loved this post. It made me love Hailey more. Happy Birthday Hailey! I thought about her on that day. I hope she loved every minute of the day. I can't believe they are turning 5.

Amber Gardiner said...

Is it strange that in the photos, Hailey seems so grown up? I can't believe that she's already 5. What a good girl.

My favorite Hailey quote is after riding a scooter for a couple minutes asking me "people do this for fun?" sincerely. What a cutie, she makes me laugh!

Patti Smith said...

Happy Birthday Hailey! Thanks for being a great friend to Clara! Check out our blog at crazyyet.blogspot.com