Today you are one year old. One year.
How does it seem that you’ve been with me always? My little son. My baby son.
The joy of my life.
You are a content little soul. You’ve been the best natured little
baby. You go with the flow and are very
flexible. You spend time in the car
shuttling your sisters to and fro to their various activities with a pleasant
spirit. You don’t have high highs or low
lows. This contented nature has been a
gift. As contented as you are, you are
the most stubborn boy! You want what you
want and there is no convincing you otherwise.
I’m so thankful you are a stubborn soul.
You demanded to be born! What if
you hadn’t? What if I had given up?
You don’t love to sleep.
Part of the problem is your mamma that is all too happy to run to your side
at the faintest peep. So you’re a little
spoiled…who cares!?! You just started
sleeping through the night last week and I’ve been exhausted for a year!
You don’t love Broccoli and whenever you find a new food
that isn’t your favorite you “generously” remove it from your mouth and try to
force-feed those around you! You love
watermelon and grown up food in general.
You love squash and bananas. You
aren’t very good at your sippy cup. You
much prefer your “boobies” and it breaks my heart that this beautiful, bonding
phase of breastfeeding is nearing its end.
You love baths but HATE getting changed or dressed,
especially when it involves a shirt going over your head! You love the sunshine and sitting on our
trampoline watching the birdies fly by. You love your blankie with the blue bears on
it. You love hugging your stuffed
animals. You love playing cars and
dinosaurs. Your nicknames include but are not limited to, bu-bu, bubbs, c-dog, c-c, bubbskin and beebee.
You love your family, and we all ADORE you! Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Friends
and of course your immediate family. You
have four people wrapped around your finger in this house. Your face lights up whenever a different
family member enter the room. Your
giggles are the sweetest. Your sisters
are your playmates and I know you’ve loved them for so much longer than this
year.
Oh, your daddy. Do
you know how amazing it is to see him with you?
Our third child and yet it never gets old to watch him with his
babies. He loves having a little boy and
feels like the luckiest guy to have you.
He can’t wait to include you with the girls on all of his
Adventures. He also can’t wait to teach
you how to throw a ball, catch a fish, hike a mountain, be a man.
Hi. Hi was your
first word (after dada and mama). I have
it recorded right after you said it. It
was exquisite. How lucky I’ve been to
experience all of these sacred firsts.
You play peek-a-boo and Patty Cake.
You blow kisses and wave. You
also shake your finger at me when I tell you no-no. (Defiant little demon!) You love waving to the bus as Libby goes by and
squealing ee-ee when Hailey walks in the door in the afternoon. Right now you are crawling, army crawling,
pulling up to stand and walking around the furniture to get where you want to
go. Walking is just around the
corner. You are a menace! One day last week you pulled a huge glass of
water over, broke a candle on the tile floor, climbed up two sets of stairs,
threw a container of cottage cheese onto the grocery store floor (which
exploded everywhere), pulled down the fireplace screen, and dumped out my spice
cupboard! Yes, all in one day.
You’re exhausting.
And yet, I fall into bed each night worn out from loving you and your
sisters and feel so blessed. You
children are my first thoughts in the morning and you are the last thing I see
on the backs of my eyelids as I fall asleep.
Thank you for this first year of life, my baby. Thank you for being born. Thanks and Praise be to God who heard the
earnest pleadings of my heart. The
Doctors? They all told us that No, you
would never be. They told me
repeatedly. Everyone gave up. But you
and I? We knew differently, didn’t we? We were persistent and stubborn and crazy and reckless. You demanded to be born. And I said I would make it happen. It wasn’t easy. It’s still painful to remember. But that raw pain is eased with the salve of
loving you every moment. You are my miracle and I’ll love you
always. Happy Birthday Baby Son.
Love,
Mamma

1 comment:
So sweet and loved his cupcake! Christian is a MIRACLE, your miracle! What GREAT love he brought to your home! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Post a Comment