Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Worst Possible Thing

There is a thing that you think, "I'll be okay as long as_______doesn't happen." Because whatever _______is, you see it as the worst possible thing that could ever happen to you.

Then, one day in the middle of living your life (with the innocence of naivitee to the possibility of _________) it happens. The worst possible thing.

AND THEN WHAT?

May I suggest that who you are is shaped not in the _______ but in the AND THEN WHAT.

Me? After________happens to me, I stop breathing. And I reel. And I wonder if I'll ever be okay again. And I engage in destructive behaviors. Sometimes for minutes. Sometimes for years.

And then I'm broken. And contrite.

And teachable. And humble.

And Clay.

And that's where the AND THEN WHAT comes in. Because that's when I turn to God and to His Son. That's when I turn the mess that is me over to the Savior.

"Here," I say. "Please Help."

And he does.

I testify that God the Father and God the Son are there; in the AND THEN WHAT that comes after whatever it is you consider _______ to be, actually happens. They are there if we only open our eyes and submit. And I know with all of my heart that in the worst possible things can come the best possible things.


Prayer at Lowtide by J. Kirk Richards

3 comments:

Erin Axson said...

isnt it interesting that the _____________ does not break us like we think it should? I have gone through my ____________ in the form of a divorce and it rocked me and shook me and slapped me upside my head and I actually now look at some of the nights sobbing on my knees in tender prayer, as some of the most holy moments of my life. I would not trade those moments for anything.
thank you for sharing your heart and causing me to reflect on my own!

rachel said...

AMEN. Love this and that picture rocks my world...

Cami said...

Hope all is well and when we are teachable and clay, it does become so...
That is an amazing painting.